Unless you belong to the 1% of Americans labeled “freakishly strange” or ” for your health conscious diet, you’ve been taken for a ride by just about everyone involved in the sales and production of food. What’s the deal? How could so many companies possibly be so bad as the conspiracy theories say?
Food product manufacturers build their companies and their profits upon a few accurate suppositions:
- You are most concerned with how products immediately make you feel
- You are not a chemist
- You do not know what most of the chemical ingredients are
- You do not know how those chemicals affect the human body
- You do not care, because it’s inconvenient to pay attention
- You do not believe that corporations could be so evil as to hurt their customers in order to make a profit
- You disassociate yourself from the affects of the food they eat because you don’t want to accept responsibility of finding and preparing healthy food
Some things we know are dangerous. It’s illegal in New York to sell foods made with transfat. Most people have heard by now about the dangers of red food dye. But what about high fructose corn syrup? Or genetically modified corn? Or artificially created folic acid?
The list goes on and on. Everything the average American eats is deadly. The ancient Greeks displayed amazing insight when they claimed, “Death begins in the colon.”
Think about it. And ask yourself whether all those companies should make a profit off of your unwillingness to get involved.